EXCERPT CHAPTER 4 - LOGAN'S LEAP

Here is the excerpt from Chapter 4 of Logan's Leap. I hope it shows the relationship that is building between the handsome store owner and his new runaway mom-to-be friend.Enjoy!
When his mind stared to wander places he didn’t want it to, he got up and walked over to his bookshelf. Maybe reading would get his mind off of things. He chose a book and fell back onto the bed just as the ringtone he’d set for Jayna sounded from the nightstand. His breathing quickened and he sat up, staring at the device. “Damn it! Stop enchanting me, woman!” he muttered, reaching for the phone.
“Hello.”
“Logan, it’s Jayna.”
“Hey Sleeping Beauty, shouldn’t you actually be sleeping?” He heard her sweet chuckle before she spoke again.
“I can’t sleep. I’m scared. I…I had a dream that he found us and tried to kill the baby…and you.”
“Hey. Everything’s going to be okay. I actually have some good news. I probably should have called and told you earlier, but I didn’t want to disturb mother and son bonding time.”
“Good news?” she asked skeptically. Was it even possible? “What kind of good news?”
“Reginald is back in Alaska. He ran afoul of the law when he attacked my cousin. He has to stay put until trial.”
“Which cousin?” Jayna asked with a worried tone.
“Jackson. But don’t worry he’s fine.”
“So…I’m safe for now?” she asked, unbelievingly.
“Unless he decides to be stupid. But I have a friend of the family keeping an eye on him.” Logan then heard sniffling coming over the line. “What’s wrong, Jayna?”
"Reginald’s middle name is stupid. We are nowhere near safe. He has unlimited resources, Logan. He’ll find a way.”
He sighed. “Damn it. That’s not what I wanted to hear. I thought we’d have plenty of time to get you and CJ squared away.”
“If it was just me,” she murmured. “I could change my identity and disappear forever. Logan could you…”
“No!” he interrupted. “Don’t even go there. You couldn’t give him up any more now than I could take him from you.”
“He’s my heart,” she whispered. “But he’ll never be safe with me.”
“I’ll do everything in my power to make sure that you are both safe. Together."
“Why Logan? Why are you helping us? You could just put me out on the street, or send me back to Jack and Deb. You don’t even really know us.”
“I have to,” he said softly. “What kind of monster wouldn’t help someone in need?”
“I guess I’ve only known monsters.”
Logan cringed at the thought of what she must have gone through. “I’m so sorry.”
“So what’s next?” Jayna asked, the determination coming back into her voice. “I guess we can always hope Reginald uses his brain for once.”
Logan chuckled. “I don’t think that is the best idea. Do me a favor. Think about what kind of resources he has at his disposal and tomorrow I’ll compile a list so we can give it to the PI. Then we’ll go from there.”
“Okay,” she agreed. "Thank you for everything, Logan.”
“You’re welcome. And Jayna?”
“Yeah?”
“Tell CJ…well, tell him I said hi.”
“I will, Logan. Goodnight.”
Disconnecting the call, he plugged the phone into the charger. When he lay back down on the pillow and closed his eyes, Jayna’s face loomed above him and her lips came down on his in a sweet kiss. His eyes flew open and he leapt from the bed. “God damn it! Where the hell did that come from?” He walked out to the kitchen, not sure what he was doing. Finally, he settled on a glass of water then went back to bed. The sooner he got things settled for Jayna and CJ, the better it would be. The thought of never seeing them again actually kind of made him sad. But it shouldn’t, he’d only known her for all of a couple of days. When they left, his life would return to normal. And he couldn’t wait.
He crawled under the covers and rolled onto his side. Thoughts of the enchanting Jayna McIntyre would have to stay away. Tomorrow would be a busy day and he needed to sleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment