EXCERPT CHAPTER 2 - LOGAN'S LEAP

Here is an excerpt from Chapter two of Logan's Leap! Enjoy. :)




“Thank you Logan.”

“You’re welcome,” he murmured as he slipped past, brushing her pregnant belly. He stopped in his tracks. “He kicked me!”
Jayna laughed. “He did. He must like you.”
Logan hurried out of the room fighting a bout of nausea. What the Hell was that feeling he’d just had? It was warm, and fuzzy…and quite uncomfortable. When he heard her call his name, he felt like crying. He just wanted to get away from her. But he turned around and went back into the room.  “What do you need?” he asked as politely as he could muster.
“I…I have a favor to ask,” she hedged. “I… would you stay in here while I take a shower. I’m still so shaky but I really need to bathe.”  She took a deep breath and turned away. “I’m sorry. Never mind.”
Logan walked over to her and put a hand on her arm. “Go ahead and shower. I’ll stay here, just in case.”
“Are you sure?” she asked, turning to him. Tears were shining in her eyes again.
“Yeah. You deserve a shower after what you’ve been through.”
“Thank you,” she cried softly as she grabbed one of her bags and slipped into the bathroom, leaving the door ajar just enough for sound to travel out if need be.
Logan sat down on the bed, feeling somewhat like a stranger in his own bedroom. He wasn’t entirely sure what to do with himself. He picked his current read up off of the nightstand and started to scan it. Concentration was almost impossible at this point. He could only think of the beautiful, scared, totally off-limits woman standing naked in his shower. Guilt and shame made him flush. How could he even think of her like that? She was a complete stranger, pregnant with another man’s child. And he didn’t want a woman in that way, at least not emotionally. But that’s why he kept them at bay physically, so the emotions couldn’t take over. He hadn’t been with a woman in two years and although physically he missed it sometimes, he knew what he had to do to stay free, so he did it.
Just as he lay back on the bed to wait, he heard a loud noise come from the bathroom and leapt up. “Are you okay Jayna?” he yelled.
“No! Help me Logan,” she cried.
He rushed in just as she started to fall to the shower floor. Catching her just in time, he held her close to his body to try to stop her shaking. “Hey, it’s okay. I’ve got you.”
“I was just so dizzy,” she murmured, resting her head against his chest.
“Let’s get you dried off and warm,” he said, adjusting her to be able to grab a towel. He carried her out of the bathroom and laid her on the bed, covering her with the towel. “You’re staying with me, right?” he asked gently.
“Yeah,” she mumbled. “I’m so sorry. Help me sit up so I can dry myself off.”
“Sure,” he said, lifting her by the shoulders so he could sit behind her. “Go ahead and lean back against me.”
Her shaky right hand reached for the towel covering her body. She started at her arms, her breathing getting heavy.
“Hey, let me do it,” he offered. “You’re going to make yourself pass out again.”
“Please don’t,” she whimpered. “This is all embarrassing enough.”
“There’s nothing to be embarrassed about,” he whispered calmly in her ear. “You need help and I’m going to give it to you. That’s all there is to it.”
Jayna’s hands dropped from the towel and she fell back against him. “I’m sorry.”
“It’s okay,” he said, taking the towel to finish drying her off. The marks and faded bruises that lined her chest and legs made him sick to his stomach. How a man could do that to anyone, let alone the woman carrying his child, was something he couldn’t fathom. “When was the last time he hurt you?”
“He caught up with me a couple of weeks ago,” she whispered. “I was hiding in Deb’s cabin just outside of Denali. Thank God the caretaker came by when he did…”
Logan was nearly shaking with anger. “Have you had the baby checked out since – to make sure he’s not hurt?”

“The bastard made sure not to touch the baby,” she whispered.


No comments:

Post a Comment