EXCERPT CHAPTER 8 - LOGAN'S LEAP

This will be the last excerpt from Logan's Leap as we are reaching the point in the book with too many spoilers. Thank you for reading them and stay tuned for excerpts from Dylan's Desire soon!

Joe walked into the hotel room and took his jacket off, tossing it on the bed. “Did you find out anything?” he asked Frank.
“Hell no, not a damn thing. It’s like no one in this town has ever seen her.”
“Well, we’ve seen her with grocery store boy but apparently they fled to Nebraska and she got rid of him.”
Frank shook his head. “We need proof. I think we should go up to the hunting cabin again.”
Joe’s phone rang and he answered it, putting the caller on speaker phone. “Hey Boss, what’s up?”
“Did you guys find out anything?” Reginald asked, his voice gruff.
“She’s not here,” Joe said. “The grocery store owner said he was with her for a couple of weeks then she dumped him in Nebraska.”
There was silence for a long time. Joe and Frank braced themselves for what they knew was coming.
“That mother fucking slut!” he roared. “I’m going to teach her a lesson she’ll never forget. And the little brat too.”
“Now Boss, he’s just a baby,” Joe said quietly.
“Shut the fuck up, asshole. I think it’s time I switched my search. The grocery store prick is telling the truth. Her debit card has been used in the Dakotas and Nebraska.”
“Do you want us to head out, Boss?” Frank asked hopefully.
“No, dumb shit. I’ll send Hank and Peter over that way. You two need to stay right there.”
“But why, Boss?” Joe asked.
“Because there might be a bonus in it for you if I decide to end Logan Harper’s suffering. No one fucks my woman, with my kid in her womb and gets away with it.”
The phone went dead. “He’s losing his mind,” Joe said quietly. “Relative or not, it might be time to find a new job.”


~~~~~~~~~~~

CJ’s fussing broke him out of his reverie and he walked over to the bed and picked him up to burp him. Sitting down in an easy chair, he let his body finally relax as he patted the baby’s back. His mind wandered to his conversation with Julia and his eyes flew open. He pulled CJ off of his shoulder and looked at him. The baby gave him a gassy grin. “Oh Jeez,” he whispered. “I do love you, you little snot. You wormed your way into my heart.” How in God’s name had he let that happen? “You’re my little man and I’m going to miss you when you’re gone."
CJ cooed then burped, another cute as hell gassy grin appearing on his face. Logan pulled him close and cradled him. He held on as tight as he dared. “Look at your mama, kiddo. She’s the prettiest woman I’ve ever seen. I wish I could love her but I’m scared. Love destroys…” He looked at CJ’s face. “I guess the only thing that loving you could destroy is my heart,” he whispered. “But it’s already dead. Loving your mom on the other hand…it could destroy everything I am.
“But what are you really Logan. You’ve been nothing but a shell of a man your whole life.” Logan closed his eyes against the words. He wasn’t sure if it was his subconscious speaking or his late brother Ben. He sometimes thought they were one and the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment