EXCERPT CHAPTER 7 - LOGAN'S LEAP

“I didn’t take you as a romance novel kind of girl,” Logan said looking over at her.
“Oh yes,” she sighed. “I’ve been to hell and back, but I still believe in love. Maybe you should give it a try,” she said seriously. “You might find yourself happy for once.” The reality of what she’d just said hit her and she grimaced, closing her eyes to wait for his response.
“Maybe you’re right,” he murmured. “If only I knew how to let go of…of all the shit…”
“I’m sorry Logan, I was out of line.”
“You were just telling the truth,” he said softly. “There is no need to apologize.”
Jayna turned to look at him. “Someday, Logan. Someday, the right woman will teach you how to not be afraid of love.”
“Only if I let her,” he whispered, opening his book. “And that will never happen.”
They lay there reading for a half-hour when Logan turned his light off. He leaned over to kiss Jayna’s cheek as he had for the past few nights before he went to sleep. Only this time, for some unknown reason, he bypassed her cheek for her full, luscious lips.
What started out as a soft peck goodnight turned into something slow, exploring and sensual. “I’m sorry, I just can’t help myself,” he murmured.
“I’m glad,” she smiled, pulling him back down into a kiss. Her hands roamed over his shoulders and down his back to rest at his waistband.
“I want to touch you so badly,” he groaned.
"Go ahead,” she said, taking his hand and placing it near her breasts. “CJ needs to learn to share some time.”
Logan smiled and moved his hand into her shirt. “Shh, don’t tell him, just in case.” His fingers gently played over her breast and nipple moving down to the underside to cup its glorious weight. He squeezed gently and Jayna moaned, arching her back to press against him. His lips left hers and traveled down her neck and onto her collar bone. His fingers tentatively teased her nipple.
“Oh God, Logan!” she whispered breathlessly
“Don’t tell me that bastard never did this,” he said, gently closing his lips over her nipple to tease it with his tongue.
Jayna suddenly sat up and moved out of Logan’s arms.
“I’m sorry,” he said, his voice low. “It’s none of my business."
Jayna looked at him with her tortured brown eyes. “It’s not that,” she murmured. “You were right. At first everything was great with him. We did everything. But then after a year, he’d just climb on board, pump away and that would be the end of it.”
“I’m sorry,” Logan said when she remained quiet. “You deserve so much more.”
“I know I did,” she said with tears running down her face. “But I stayed with him and let him treat me like a piece of meat. Why, Logan? Why in the hell did I do that?”
He took her into his arms and let her cry. “I can think of a few reasons why you may have stayed with him.”
“None of them could ever be good enough reasons.”
“Hey, don’t be so hard on yourself,” he comforted. “You may have been afraid of change, or afraid you’d lose your job. Hell, who knows why we do anything in life. The important thing is that you left. You took your life back.”
“I know you’re right,” she said, wiping her tears, "but when I think about it, I just feel so…so damn stupid!”

Logan wrapped his arms tighter around her and pulled her down to lay with him. There was nothing more he could say. It would take time for her to forgive herself. He closed his eyes and started to think of ways he could possibly end this mess sooner for her, but there was nothing he could do but wait until Reginald was stupid enough to make a move. 

No comments:

Post a Comment