EXCERPT CHAPTER 10 - THE HEART OF ALASKA

This will be the final excerpt from this book. All of the chapters after this contain too many spoilers to have really good excerpts. But this also means you won't have to wait much longer to read the whole thing because release day is approaching quickly. Stay tuned!


"Ethan," Charli whispered into the dark.
"Right here, Princess," he whispered as he walked back toward the bed. "How are you feeling?"
"Like I got run over by a truck," she groaned. "What time is it?"
Ethan sat down next to her and stroked her hair. "It's almost dinner time. Do you want to go to the dining room or should I bring you back a tray?"
Charli sat up and had to steady herself. "Give me a few minutes and we can go," she said quietly.
"Before we leave, we need to talk."
"About what?" she asked. He sounded so serious, almost angry.
"About the drinking," he answered as he flipped the bedside light on.
The bright light made her wince. "You sound mad at me, did I make you angry?"
"I’m mad at this whole situation," he murmured.
Tears started to roll down her face. "I'm sorry," she whispered.
"Hey, don't cry. Just promise me you will never do that again. Ever.”
"You seem so upset," she cried. "I never meant to upset you."
"I told you Mom turned to the bottle, but she actually drinks – a lot," Ethan said suddenly, interrupting her. "Honestly, my mother is a fall-down drunk."
"Oh Ethan," she whispered. "I’m so sorry, I didn't realize how bad it was. I thought she just drank enough to get angry easily."
"I didn't tell anyone how bad it was. I avoided situations where I might have to."
"That's the real reason you stopped writing me!" she said as realization hit.
"Yeah," he admitted. "That was a big part of it." He had never wanted her to fall victim to his drunkard mother.
"Is she still drinking?"
"A bit. She's trying to stop, but she's just having such a hard time without Dad."
Charlotte wrapped her arms around her sad cowboy and held him tight. "I'm sorry I scared you."
"It's okay," he murmured pulling away. "Just please don't ever do it again."

"I won't," she smiled. "I promise. Now let's go get something to eat."

No comments:

Post a Comment