DECEPTION IN DENALI - EXCERPT CHAPTER 2

           Jackson had taken two steps up the sidewalk leading to the house when the front door burst open and a smiling dark haired boy ran out, stopping about four feet in front of him. Jackson couldn’t take his eyes off of the vision before him. It was like looking in a mirror possessed by the past; brown hair, green eyes and the same dimple that appeared with a simple smile. The resemblance was even more prevalent in person than in pictures.
           “Daddy?” the little boy whispered excitedly.
           Jack nodded and took a step toward his son. He bent down and the little boy flew into his arms. Picking him up, he hugged him tight. One minute he’d been a carefree, single, twenty-four year old Park Ranger living the good life and the next he was the father of a seven year old boy. It all just seemed so impossible, yet so right.
           “I didn’t think you’d really come see me,” the little boy cried.
           “I promised I would, and I will always keep my promises.”
           Michael just nodded, his head then buried it in the crook of his father’s neck. “I’m so glad you’re here Daddy,” he whispered.
            “I’ll never leave you now Mikey.” Jack carried him up to the house and knocked on the door. It swung open and when he saw Maryann, he had to keep himself from gasping in shock. The once beautiful, vital person he’d known was replaced by an overly thin, drawn woman who now looked well beyond her fifty-four years
            “Welcome Jack,” she said struggling out of her recliner to hug him. Her voice sounded so tired and it made him realize just how gently he had to treat her. “Come sit down. Boy go get your daddy something to drink”.
            “We’ve got iced tea or soda,” Michael proudly told his father when he was finally set on the floor.
            “I’ll have some tea, my man.”
            Maryann slowly led Jackson to the couch and asked him to sit. “You sure did grow into a handsome man,” she said in wonder, looking over his six foot one inch frame. “You and Michael favor each other greatly.”
Picture From TeenIdols4You.com</p><p>Click To Visit
            “I noticed,” Jackson stated. “He has his mother’s eye shape and her lips too. The rest is all me. It still blows my mind that I helped to create him.”
            “That’s what you get for taking my daughter to the lake on her birthday,” Maryann joked.
            “Point taken,” Jackson replied with a smile. “After seeing Michael I can’t regret one moment of it.”
            “I’m glad Jack. The less you regret in life, the happier you’ll be. I learned that the hard way.”
            “I’m so sorry, Maryann.” Now that he’d seen her, the knowledge that this once vital woman would soon cease to exist slapped him in the face.
            “Don’t be kiddo. Just find my daughter so I can say goodbye,” she whispered.
            “I’ll do my best,” he promised. “But first I need to hear everything you know about her disappearance and the recent sightings. Are you up to it now or should we start tomorrow?”

No comments:

Post a Comment