DECEPTION IN DENALI - EXCERPT CHAPTER 1

          A round of cake and champagne was in order, courtesy of the head waiter of course. It seemed that the further they got into their vacation the more there was to celebrate. But as always, family time had to end and the group was shooed out of the dining room so the crew could set up for late dining. Everyone went their separate ways, each choosing to spend their last night on the cruise in a special manner. Jack went to the ship’s library one last time, to talk to his son before meeting him the next day.
          “Hey buddy!” Jackson said into the computer’s web camera.
          “Hi dad! What time will you be here tomorrow?”
           Jackson chuckled. “I’m not sure. I have to do a few things before I can come see you. But I would say I’ll be there before dinner time.” It wouldn’t be soon enough. He wanted nothing more than to meet his son.
          “Okay,” Michael said with a sad note to his voice.
          “Hey don’t worry little man. We’ll see each other real soon and I can’t wait.”
          “Daddy?"
          "Yeah Mikey?"
          "I love grandma, but I really want a mama and a daddy.”
          “I know,” Jack whispered, secretly cursing Deborah. “I’ll be there tomorrow and you’ll never be able to get rid of me.”
          “I won’t want to. Can you marry mama so we can be a family?”
          “We talked about this already, bud. I don’t know what will happen with your mama, but I’m going to find her so you can be with her again.”
           The little boy ducked his head. “I know,” he whispered. “We’ll see what happens right?”
          “Yep. Now you better get ready for bed. I’ll see you soon.”
          “Okay,” he sighed deeply. “Bye daddy.”
          "Bye son, I love you.”

**********

          After a two and a half hour ride to Anchorage, they hugged their family goodbye at the airport and headed to the car rental counter. Thomas and Vanessa headed to the hotel, probably to celebrate their love again, while Jackson took his own rental car to the hotel for a quick shower and a change of clothes before calling Maryann.
          “Hello,” she answered in a shaky, scratchy voice.
          “Hi Maryann, It’s Jack. Can I come see my son now?” His excitement almost bubbled over. He wanted to scream with joy, and fear.
          “Absolutely, he can’t wait to see you. He’s really loved talking to you over the internet for the past week.”
          “Give me the address so I can plug it into GPS and I’ll come right over.” His voice was shaking with excitement and wonder.  
           Maryann relayed the address as Jack walked out of the hotel and straight to the rental car. Five minutes after a stop at a big box store for a new toy, Jackson pulled up in front of a small cottage on a tree lined street. 
          This was it, he was about to change his life forever. He would exit the rental car and enter into a whole new world, a world where an almost eight year old boy was the most important thing in his life. He unlocked the driver’s side door and stepped out onto the curb. It was now or never.

No comments:

Post a Comment