EXCERPT - PROLOGUE - LIVE FOR THE MOMENT BY JJ & TA ELLIS

And we begin the excerpts from our latest book - Live for the Moment!!! Today it is from the prologue.

I you are thinking this will be just like our other books, well it won't (except or the fact that the characters will be familiar from our other two series). Live or the Moment is a Baby Boomer Romance. The main characters are in their 60's, although you will get the story of the characters in their younger years too!  One thing you will notice is that Jack and Evie aren't stereotypical old people. They are fun, passionate, full of life and willing to try new things - They aren't too old to explore the naughty in life either. We hope you enjoy your journey through the lives and loves of two amazing couples. The novel is coming soon! 

PROLOGUE

BOOK 1 
JACK AND EVIE - THE BEGINNING

BOOK 2
EVIE AND COLE'S STORY

BOOK 3
JACK AND EVIE - ONE STEP CLOSER

BOOK 4 
JACK AND FRAN'S STORY

BOOK 5
TOGETHER AT LAST?

BOOK 6
COMPROMISE, FAMILY & HAPPILY EVER AFTER?

EPILOGUE




SYNOPSIS
Jackson and Francesca, Cole and Evelyn: two baby boomer couples who have overcome their own personal hell to forge vibrant, lasting marriages 
When Francesca and Cole pass away within six months of each other, Jackson and Evelyn continue the pen pal relationship the two women started some 52 years prior. 

And with each bit of correspondence they find their hearts healing. Together, can they create a new and lasting bond?



EXCERPT 

MARCH 2012

This would be the hardest phone call Evelyn Harper had ever had to make. She sat in her living room just staring at her phone. One of her dearest, oldest friends had just announced she was dying of cancer. This was the first time Evelyn would talk to her since her twin brother Ethan had called with the news the week before. Taking a deep, shaky breath, she finally hit speed dial four and prayed. The phone rang five times before it was answered.

“Hello.”

“Hey Francesca.”

“Evie! Oh it’s so good to hear from you.”

“It’s good to talk to you,” Evelyn said. “I would have called sooner, but we were out of town for a week.”

“It’s okay,” Francesca chuckled before gasping in pain. “Sorry, my meds are just starting to kick in.”

“That’s okay, sweetie. I just wanted to hear your voice.”

“You mean my tired voice. This surgery took a lot out of me.”

“You sound great Fran! So exactly what's going on?”

“Hey, I’m going to be drugged out of my mind here in about two minutes, can I have Jack explain?”

“Of course. You just take care of yourself. I love you.”

“I love you too, Evie,” she said, tears clouding her voice. “Here’s Jack.”

“Hey Evelyn.”

“Hi Jack. So what’s going on?”

Her very private, very intense friend sighed and she heard a sliding glass door open then close. “Fran has advanced stages of uterine cancer. They did exploratory surgery and it’s worse than they thought it would be.”

“Will they do chemo?” she asked, her voice shaking.

“No,” he murmured.

“No?”

“They offered but she doesn’t want it,” he said softly. “It would just make her sick so she couldn’t enjoy the few extra months it might give her. She declined. She says that it’s fate and it’s her time.”

“How long?” Evelyn asked, her voice choked up. She herself didn’t believe in fate but her husband Cole did.

“Six months to a year,” he whispered.

“God, I’m so sorry.”

“Thanks Evelyn.”

“Do you guys need anything?”

“If you want to come help me with tourist season,” he chuckled. “My damn brother-in-law Tyler broke his arm and doesn’t get his cast off until we're a month into the season."

Evelyn knew she couldn’t handle the job of taking tourists out on fishing expeditions, but she wished there was something she could do. “I wish I could help, or send one of my boys, but they’re all wrapped up in their own lives.”

“Oh I’m sure we’ll handle it. My boy Kevin might be able to help out too if your niece will give him time off from the diner.”

“Well that’s good, and I’m sure Olivia will work with him. She loves that diner and everyone who works in it,” she said. “What’s up with Tyler’s arm? I don’t remember hearing about that.”

“He was being a dumb ass,” Jack grumbled. “We had a big storm and one of the boat ties broke. Instead of waiting for me to help, he tried to take care of it himself. Now we have a broken vessel and a broken operator.”

“Oh I bet he’s not happy.” Evie was barely able to keep the laughter out of her voice.

Jack chuckled. “You can say that again. No one around here is happy right now.”

“I know. Do you think Fran will be up for our visit in September?”

“Oh yeah. She’ll be happy to see you. She’s really missing you, Charli and Eleanor right now because she doesn’t get to see you as often as she would like.”

“I wish we could come sooner but the summers are so busy.”

“I know. Here too. We’ll see you in September though and I’m sure Fran will have something spectacular planned whether she’s up to doing it or not.”

“Yeah,” Evelyn laughed. “That sounds like Fran.”

“Yeah. Hey I…”

“I know. I’ll let you go. If you need anything, just call. I’ll ring Fran next week as usual.”

“We will Evelyn. Thanks. Goodbye.”

Evelyn hung up the phone and cried as her husband Cole sat down beside her and wrapped her in his arms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment