DECEPTION IN DENALI - EXCERPT CHAPTER 5

         NOTE: As far as excerpts go, this book will be a bit different. The plot twists happen early on so it is hard to do excerpts without spoiling the surprises in the story. So, you will see things blocked out and placers put in. I hope you enjoy the excerpts!

         
          “I’m sorry, was I too rough?” he asked. She was crying in his arms and it broke his heart to think he may be the cause.
         “No,” she managed to sob before losing her ability to talk through the tears. She rolled into him, resting her head on his shoulder and he squeezed her tight. When her shaking subsided, he tried to talk to her again. “Maybe we shouldn’t have done this. I’m sorry.”
          Deborah actually chuckled. “Don’t ever think that, Jack. And there’s nothing to be sorry about.”
          “Why are you crying? You know, I still hate seeing you cry.”
          Deborah propped herself up on her arm and looked down at her former boyfriend. “So much has happened today. I was kidnapped, found out I might just be able to be safe again, found you again, and realized I will get to see my son tomorrow for the first time in three years. It’s a lot to handle. Especially when I’m in the arms of the only boy I’ve ever loved.”
          Jack smiled up at her. “Are you okay now?”
          Deborah shrugged and laid back down beside him. “I’m scared to death. I’m confused, the future is so uncertain and I don’t like it.”
          “Everything will be okay, sweetheart. You’re not alone now. We’re going to dig you out of this and you will be free again. Something to think about – your mom is very sick, Vanessa wasn’t lying. You need to see her.”
          “Goodnight Jack,” she murmured, snuggling up to him. She didn’t know what to believe anymore. It was absolutely imperative to find out what was going on with [insert villain here] because she needed to feel completely safe again, before risking seeing her mother. There was too much at stake, too many lives in danger. Deborah just hoped that if her mom was sick, she could hold on.
          “I’ll be right back Deb,” Jack whispered, heading into the bathroom. While cleaning up, he couldn’t help but wonder why on earth his stubborn former girlfriend couldn’t believe that her mother needed her? Deb should know that he, of all people, would never lie to her about something like that. In the end, he just hoped they weren’t too late.
When Jack walked back out to the bedroom, he noticed her breathing was steady and even. “Goodnight sweetheart,” he murmured as he lay down and took her into his arms again. He kissed her forehead and held her for what felt like hours until he started to doze off. Before sleep finally claimed him, he swore he heard her mumbling in her sleep. “Hang tight...I love you...see you soon.”


No comments:

Post a Comment